Sunday, March 30, 2008

Primavara

It seems that spring has arrived! The trees are budding, the flowers are blooming, the weather is getting warmer, and the birds are building a nest in the awning above my window.

Daylight-saving-time began at 3:00am today, three weeks after the United States. Getting up this morning was more difficult than usual (but heck, it's always a chore for me). I hate losing that precious hour of sleep, but I'm looking forward to the longer days.

Yesterday I spent the day with some other volunteers in the nearby town of Deta. The weather was warm and sunny, so we took a grill out to a nearby pond and had a barbeque. We grilled potatoes along with the standard summertime favorite: mititei (meeteetay), also known as mici (meech). Mici are essentially a mixture of ground meat (pork, beef, lamb) spiced with herbs, rolled into a sort of sausage shape and served with bread, mustard and beer. Think of mici as the Romanian version of the hamburger.

No comments: